In your Empowerment Series: Direct Social Work Practice: Theory and Skills text, read the following:
- Chapter 15, “Enhancing Family Functioning and Relationships,” pages 455–483.
- Describe briefly the first step to engaging a family or couple.
- Give one example of either a problem-solving approach or skills training approach that you would use working with a couple or family.
- Describe how you might identify and describe misconceptions or distorted cognitions to the couple or family you are working with to assist in modifying communication patterns.
- Describe how culture may influence your engagement with the couple or family as a social worker and how a cultural perspective may dictate communication patterns and acceptable intervention strategies when working with a couple or family.
In this discussion, you will describe ways for working with families and couples, including engaging them, providing problem-solving approaches or skills training, and identifying misconceptions or distorted cognitions and helping to modify communication patterns. You will also examine how cultural factors may influence your work with couples or families.