Microaggressions: Part 1
This week you watched the video segment, “Microagressions.” As you think about what you learned from this segment consider the following questions posed in Chapter 2 of your course text:
- When have I felt that I was the target of discrimination?
- What was the reason for it (e.g., race, gender, occupation, size, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age)?
- Who had the power? What was the source of that power?
- Did I feel disempowered? If so, why?
- How did I react? Feel? What did I do? Wish that I had done?
- What kind of support would have been helpful in this situation?
Whether you have or have not been the target of discrimination, consider how this video and your reading this week increased your understanding of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination.
Note: Before you proceed, review the Guidelines for Supportive Discussions on page 22 of your text one more time.
By Day 3:
Post your response to at least two of the following:
- Your definition of microagression
- Any experience you have had as the recipient of microagressions
- How your understanding of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination has changed/deepened/expanded this week
- Why following the Guidelines for Supportive Discussions is essential to discussions such as this one
This assignments is due tomorrow @ 1:00pmest