You can use three different approaches to complete this assignment. You can select:
- An industry other than the ones used in class: airlines, streaming services, cars, luxury clothing.
- A specific company (American Airlines, Digital Ocean, Five Guys, etc.)
- To work under the premise you are creating a new company in a specific industry for which you want to know how the environment looks like.
Once you have selected your approach, start researching the industry you selected.
Use Porter’s Five Forces to evaluate it
- Is buyer power low or high?
- Is supplier power low or high?
- Which substitute products and services are perceived as threats?
- Can new entrants easily enter the market?
- What are the barriers to entry?
- What is the level of rivalry among existing competitors?
- What is your overall view of the industry?
Strategic Impact of Information Technology
- If you selected to work with an industry (1):
- Is it a good or bad industry to enter?
- Select one company within the industry and describe what could you do in order to beat the competition? (use Porter’s three generic strategies or the RGT framework to explain your decisions)
- If you selected to work with a specific company (2):
- What can you do in order to beat the competition? (use Porter’s three generic strategies or the RGT framework to explain your decisions)
- If you selected to create a new company (3):
- What strategies would you select to stand a chance in the industry? (use Porter’s three generic strategies or the RGT framework to explain your decisions)
Do not forget to justify your answers!
- Individual assignments should not be longer than one page.
- You must use the assignment template available in the Resources section of the classroom
- Do not forget to add references. The list of references may be on a second page.