This is a multistep prompt in which you have to answer each of the questions posed to you.
The heroes of all the myths we have covered thus far have been quite complex, and this week’s reading about Sigurth is no different. In this es say, analyze how the poems describe Sigurth’s heroic accomplishments, and explain your impression of him. In doing so, pay close attention to his fight with the dragon, his promise to Brynhild, his pact with Gunner, and his ultimate betrayal.
• Your initial response should be at least 500 words in length
• Use MLA format for any quotations or citations that you use to support your answer
• Use size 12 font, one-inch margins, and double-spacing
• Consult the MLA Formatting and Style Guide to understand how to format citations and
references and for general writing assistance (writing style, mechanics, grammar, etc.).
The Poetic Edda: Stories Of The Norse Gods And Heroes, translated and edited by Jackson Crawford. Hackett Publishing Company, Inc., 2015.
- Introduction, pp. ix to xxii
- Voluspa, pp. 1 to 16
- Havamal, pp. 17 to 47
- Vafthurthnismal, pp. 48 to 59
- Lokasenna, pp. 100 to 114
- Thrymskvitha, pp. 115 to 122
- Baldrs draumar, pp. 141 to 144
- Rigsthula, pp. 145 to 155
- Voluspa en skamma, pp. 156 to 167
- Fra dautha Sinfjotla, pp. 218 to 219
- Gripisspa, pp. 220 to 233
- Reginsmal, pp. 234 to 240
- Fafnismal, pp. 241 to 251
- Sigrdrifumal, pp. 252 to 259
- Brot af Sigurtharkvithu, pp. 260 to 265
- Guthrunarkvitha I, pp. 266 to 272
- Sigurtharkvitha en skamma, pp. 273 to 288
- Helreith Brynhildar, pp. 289 to 292
Additional Resources: External Links
Edith Hamilton’s text has a section on Norse mythology. If you are interested in reading more, see “Part Seven: The Mythology of the Norsemen” on pp. 442 to 465.