Guidelines: There are 3 parts. All three parts must be address and all three parts must be submitted together in a single document.
2) Research and Citations: You may use your textbook, the videos, or other outside sources. In the case of the textbook and the videos, only direct quotes need to be cited, requiring only the author’s last name in parentheses. Outside sources (books, websites, etc.) may also be used, but in this case all information must be cited and must be listed in a works cited (or bibliography) at the end of the essay. For your citations, please use Chicago, MLA, or APA. You will submit your paper through plagiarism checking software, so be sure to cite any and all direct quotes. Direct quotes do not count toward the required word count.
Part 1 Questions: (500 words)
1. In Document 1, how does Franklin D. Roosevelt characterize World War II and the threat posed by fascism and Nazi Germany? Had he survived, do you think Roosevelt would have characterized the Cold War and the Soviet Union in the same way? Why, or why not?
2. Describe the primary arguments explained in Documents 2 and 3. How does Kennan explain the threat of the Soviet Union and communism? How does he characterize the weaknesses of the Soviet system? How does Kennen and the NSC (Document 3) suggest the United States respond to the perceived threat of the Soviet Union and communism?
3. Using the text book, provide some specific examples of how the ideas in documents 2 and 3 shaped U.S. foreign policy from 1945-1960.
4. In his farewell speech (video and Document 4), what does Eisenhower say about the Cold War? How does his message reflect the ideas from Documents 2 and 3? What warnings does he give for the future? How does Eisenhower’s speech relate to Roosevelt’s (Document 1)?
Part 2 (350 words)
1. “World War II reshaped ideas about American nationality.” Assess the validity of this statement by comparing the experiences of first-generation immigrants, second-generation immigrants, and black Americans during World War II.
Part 3 (350words)
1.Evaluate Harry Truman’s domestic policies. Which parts reflected the New Deal? Why were they so difficult to implement? How did they expand freedom for Americans? How did they restrict freedom?